Use Me Jesus!

Greetings Moms! It's Sara Carnes from the "Family Friendly Morning Show." I'm back from my first missions trip with Food for the Poor in Guatemala, but I know that I left a piece of my heart down there with those children.

My friends told me that I wouldn't be the same after I went on a missions trip and boy were they right. I'll never forget the faces of the children I met there.


I've always wanted to go on a missions trip and deep down I've always felt God was calling to use me in some way. Before I left on the trip I was sitting in the airport when a song I used to sing when I was younger came to me... Use Me by the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir. I had their CD with this song on it and would sing it all the time.

They lyrics have always spoken to me... And on this trip, it became my prayer.

CHORUS:
If you can use anything Lord, you can use me.
If you can use anything Lord, you can use me.
Take my hands Lord and my feet. 
Touch my heart Lord speak through me.
If you can use anything Lord you can use me.

As I traveled throughout Guatemala including up in the mountain areas where some of the poorest families live I sang this song to myself. Praying that Jesus would use me to touch these families lives. The amount of poverty I saw was shocking... I had never seen anything like it before. I saw children and families with no food, no clean water, and sick and unable to afford medicine. In so many cases if it weren't for organizations like Food for the Poor and people helping, families there would simply not survive.

But what does survive through it all is the love of Jesus. In one instance on our trip, we met a mother, Lucia, selling basil and avocados outside one of the schools for .15 cents each. We bought some from her  and her response said it all... "I can't thank you enough, but God will repay you".

The whole experience has been pulling at my servant heartstrings and it really got me thinking about what it means to have a true servants heart. It really requires a change in thinking... To be a servant, we must think like a servant.

God is more interested in why we're doing something than what we do. Just think what could be done if we all got a little more serious about our servant heart.

-Sara Carnes 

P.S. I've posted a few pictures from trip... Check out our Morning Show Facebook Page!