So long, insecurity...

Blog post from Sara Carnes from 95.5 The Fish Morning Show, originally posted on saracarnes.com 
It’s awesome to be a girl. And it’s pretty awesome to have two girls of my own. But whoa… raising girls is hard work! Not saying boys aren’t (I don’t have boys), but raising confident, strong, and Christ-centered kids in this day of age has it’s fair share of challenges.  There are so many choices and influences out there today for kids, I find myself always looking for postive ones to share with them. Especially, my oldest daughter, Makayla. She’s 14 now and hitting the social media scene and I know as strong as she is she still struggles with “girly” issues sometimes – – but let’s be honest ladies… we all still do at times.
Anyway, I’m always looking for good books, or role models to share with her and when I found this one I couldn’t wait to give it to her.
I heard great reviews and bought in online here.
She took it on vacation with us this week and loved it so much she wanted to share her thoughts on the book for other girls her age! She loves to write, so I asked her to share a reflection on my blog. Proud mama here! She’s hoping other girls out there will read it and and feel inspired.
Feel free to share with your daughters, family members, or friends that may like it, too.
So her it is… Makayla’s reflection of “So Long, Insecurity” by Beth Moore
The definition of insecurity in my opinion: you’re not sure of who you are and what your worth.
Insecurity makes us think we’re not good enough and makes us compare ourselves to others. I remember my favorite verse when I start to feel insecure… 1 Peter 5:7 “Give all your worries and cares to God for he cares about you.”
This book, “So long insecurity” by Beth Moore helped remind me to live as a healthy secure girl. It covers fashion, media, boys, tough stuff, gifts and talents, and competition.
As a secure girl, I know Christ has a personal relationship with me. I know not to base my sense of worth on popularity and I understand my true beauty comes from inside. I know that images in the media are often distorted and I do not change who I am around boys. I always rely on God when tough things happen, knowing that he’s guiding me step-by-step everyday. This book taught me to work hard to develop my God given talents and lift up other girls instead of comparing myself to them. I have the right to choose security.
I would recommend this book because at times I’ve struggled with my insecurity. I always compared myself to others, asked myself why I didn’t have a perfect body like models on the media, and anything else a normal teenage girl would ask. After reading this book, I came to the conclusion that I don’t need to worry about what I look like to others. I am perfect in God’s eyes, and that’s all that matters.
-Makayla
For more from Sara Carnes on saving money, stories of inspiration, crafts, recipes, and more, check out her blog CLEMama - Christ-centered. Love. Everyday. And listen every weekday morning to 95.5 The Fish from 6am-10am.